The Big Beach Build
Time & Location
What is it?
A fun free family Sandcastle Building Contest on Barry Beach (Whitmore) on Monday 23rd August brought to you by Beach Academy in partnership with the Vale of Glamorgan Council.
Prizes for the top 3.
Building takes place between 11am and 3pm.
How do we take part?
Families that wish to compete MUST register their team (up to 6 people) online before the day.
Rules and details are below, make sure you read them before you come to take part.
What happens on the day?
- You must sign in with Beach Academy on the beach anytime from 10am. We will be near the beach huts with access to the beach at slips 4 and 5.
- Your team will be given a contest flag with a number that you need to put on your castle. Only teams with flags will be considered for prizes.
- Find a spot to build your castle.
- Castle building will take place anytime from 11am to 3pm.
- Make sure you bring everything you need. Nothing will be provided.
- Judging will take place between 3pm and 3:45pm.
- Winners will be announced at 4pm at Beach Academy on the beach.
Is anything else happening?
Yes. Beach Academy will also be running some fun beach challenges next to the Beach Academy sign in desk, finishing at 3pm.
- Castle Bucket Tower - How high can you stack it?
- Beach Ball Golf - Can you get a hole in one?
Is it all free?
What are the rules?
Sandcastle Building - Contest Rules
- Teams must be no more than 6 people with a team name.
- Teams must be registered with Beach Academy.
- Only teams displaying a ‘competition flag’ can enter to win prizes.
- Teams cannot be adult only. It must have at least 1 child under the age of 16 taking part.
- Your sandcastle must be recognisable as a ‘castle' and be made entirely out of sand.
- Building equipment, accessories and decoration must be provided by you, the team.
- Your castle can be any size.
- All children must be accompanied at all times by a parent/carer/adult.
- Teams must start their building anytime from 11am and complete their sandcastle by 3pm. Building after this time will mean disqualification.
- Be creative and have fun! Good luck.
What are the prizes?
1st: The Golden Bucket Award and a family set of bodyboards (value £300)
2nd: Family surf lesson for 6 with Coney Surf (value £180)
3rd: A trug of beach bats, balls and buckets (value £100)
What if we want to build a castle but not compete?
Great. More castles the better. Just come on down to the beach and build. You do not need to register with Beach Academy at all. If you change your mind, pop to the Beach Academy desk on the beach and if we have spaces we can give you a competition flag.
- Team Ticket (up to 6 people)£0£00£0