Sand Snowman Competition
Time & Location
What is it?
Join Beach Academy for the much-loved ‘Sand Snowman’ Competition this Xmas Holiday on Mon 20 Dec. Grab your spades and santa hats and head on down to Rest Bay in Porthcawl to build a snowman in the sand! Build for fun, or join in the competition to win the Golden Spade Trophy and some seaside prizes. A day of pure seaside silliness and warm sweet treats at sunset from our marshmallow beach firepits.
How do we take part?
Families that wish to compete MUST purchase a team ticket here to register their team (up to 6 people) before the day. Ticket price is only £5 per team. Rules and details are included below, please make sure you read it before you come to take part. Fancy dress highly encouraged!
What happens on the day?
- On arrival, sign in with Beach Academy on the beach anytime from 11am.
- Your team will be given a contest flag with a number that you need to put on your sand snowman. Only teams with flags will be considered for prizes.
- Find a spot to build your sand snowman.
- Sand snowman building will take place anytime from 11am to 3pm.
- Make sure you bring everything you need. Nothing will be provided.
- Judging will take place between 3pm and 3:30pm.
- Winners will be announced at 3:30pm by Beach Academy on the beach.
Is anything else happening?
Yes. Beach Academy will have beach firepits offering marshmallow treats from 3-4:30pm so you can enjoy the sunset with a warm sweet treat. There will also be reindeer face painting available for kids (and adults!)
Is it free?
£5 per team entry (up to 6 people)
Small charge/donation for the marshmallows to roast.
£2 per face stencil
What are the rules?
Sand Snowman Building - Contest Rules
- Teams must be no more than 6 people with a team name.
- Teams must be registered with Beach Academy.
- Only teams displaying a ‘competition flag’ can enter to win prizes.
- Teams cannot be adult only. It must have at least 1 child under the age of 16 taking part.
- Your sand snowman must be recognisable as a ‘snowman' and be made entirely out of sand.
- Your sand snowman MUST have a carrot nose.
- Building equipment, accessories and decoration must be provided by you, the team.
- Your sand snowman can be any size.
- All children must be accompanied at all times by a parent/carer/adult.
- Teams may start their building anytime from 11am and complete their sand snowman by 3pm. Building after this time will mean disqualification.
- Be creative and have fun.
- Make sure all your belongings, decorations and litter are removed from the beach - leaving no trace at the end of the competition.
What are the prizes?
1st: The Golden Spade Award and 2 bodyboards from Beach Academy.
2nd: Family surf lesson with Porthcawl Surf
3rd: A trug of beach goodies
What if we want to build a snowman but not compete?
Great. More sand snowmen the better. Just come on down to the beach and build. You do not need to register with Beach Academy at all. If you change your mind, pop to the Beach Academy desk on the beach and if we have spaces we can give you a competition flag.
Be safe. If you feel unwell with any of the classic 3 Covid symptoms (new persistent cough, loss of taste or smell or fever), please do not attend the event. It’s also advised you bring a hand sanitiser. The event is entirely outdoors so masks are not essential.
- Sand Snowman Team Ticket£5£50£0